Stitch and Thyme

New spinner / farmer learning how to get though this new lesson in life without to many bumps and slubs along the way.

Name:
Location: Upstate, New York, United States

I am a spinner and knitter living in upstate NY.

Friday, March 04, 2005

The Sheep

Matthew, my very significant other, purchased three Dorset ewes for us giving the yearling to me. This meant that I got to name it. Her name is Penelope. ( that's not to say that I didn't name the others too. I just didn't tell him until later.) I thought this would be most appropriate. She is a very pretty and fistey young lamb. For the winter they are penned with the cow. Let me tell you this lamb has no problem with letting the cow know that she will not move for her or anyone else. I really like her. The other two sheep were essentially saved. They have never been sheared and, I am not sure when the last time that they had their hoofs trimmed. Matthew has taken the time to trim them and the sheep are all the better for it.
I continue to monitor them and do not think that they have foot rot thankfully. However, they do seem to be carrying some extras. They are due to lamb in April. I am getting very excited and pushing to prepare. It would be much easier if the weather would warm up. We woke up this morning to 5 degrees out side. For this I am glad that the sheep have nice warm fleeces.
Lucky them. I am pretty sure that the fleece from the older two will not be useful for spinning however. Penelopies' fleece seems to be in very good condition so far. I am hoping to have her shorn in the beginning of April. Matthew would like to shear them. ( he can start on the other two. ) Hopefully all will go well with that.
Tomorrow is my Birthday. 35 years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home